Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Natural State

We got to go see my Aunt Jerilyn, Uncle David and Grandparents up in Arkansas on this whirl wind trip!  It is a rare occasion that we are able to make up there but I'm so glad we did!  The first night we were there was very exciting.  After the kids went to bed, the adults sat down to play a game at the kitchen table.  I kept seeing something, like a cat, on the other side of the glass door in Aunt Jerilyn's sun room.  I didn't realize what it was until it practically put her face up to the glass.  A big mommy raccoon with her two babies.  They were apparently in there trying to get to the fish food.  We tried to heard them out, but of course, that didn't work.  I wish we had video taped Aunt Jerilyn and I hopping from chair to chair talking in soothing voices to these animals.  It was probably pretty funny and no wonder they didn't listen to the crazy ladies on the furniture.  There was the debate of shooting them, trapping them, or letting them go.  I voted for letting them go just because it was a Mom and her babies, but I don't live in the country and have to deal with them on a constant basis.  After explanation, I can understand why Aunt Jerilyn wanted to shoot them.  We ended up setting a trap, but didn't catch any of them.  Pretty exciting for our first night! 

The next day we were able to visit my Grandmother.  I wish we could have spent more time with her.  She is such a classy woman and I hope I can be just like her!  I left Brandon and the kids at the house playing in the pool while Aunt Jerilyn and I went to visit Grandaddy.  I always get emotional when I see him and wanted to be able to visit with him without worrying about the kids.  I love that the first thing Grandaddy said to me was, "You're so beautiful and I love you."  I love Grandaddy so much and miss him terribly!

The last day we were there, we went boating!  We had been at the lake for about 15 minutes when Jacob said, "Mommy, I want Daddy to get a boat."  Then he clarified, "I want Daddy to get a boat like this one!"  So do I Jacob, so do I.  We all had a blast and were worn out by the time we got back to the house.  The next morning we slept a little late, then started our trek home.  Brandon and I were so tired of fast food and being on the road, we decided to drive through the night to get home as soon as possible.  We took 3 hours shifts the whole way back, sleeping when we weren't driving.  We made it home at 7 on Monday morning and slept blissfully in our own beds!  We had a wonderfully exhausting vacation!

The raccoon family.  You can see the other baby on the outside of the screen.
The bluebonnet picture on the wall is a mainstay.  I will always remember that picture!
Home at last!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like a lot of fun! Hope all is going well with baby #4.

Tommy and Jill said...

Peyton is such a cute kid!!! (well all your kids are!) but this is the most pictures I've seen of him and he is so darn cute!

Becca said...

What?! That is NOT FAIR that you got to see raccoons!!! I lived there for three years and never got to see a mom raccoon and her babies. I am so jealous!

Kathryn said...

I love that bluebonnet picture too. I've looked at these pictures before... but I never read what you wrote until now. I can totally imagine you and mom in the chairs trying to get the raccoons out. At least it wasn't a possum or an armadillo. And I love that Jacob figured out pretty quick that he wanted a boat just like that one. AMEN! Who knows... maybe someday. I love you Kristin!