Thursday, December 2, 2010

Thanksgiving Weekend

It's official.  Brandon and I have successfully hosted a Thanksgiving dinner.  The Engstrom and Harris families came to visit and we had so much fun.  We had a very full house with six adults and seven children (all of which were 5 and under).  We had corn casserole, broccoli & rice, mashed potatoes, stuffing, green beans, 2 chocolate pies, 2 pecan pies, 1 pear pie, 1 pumpkin pie and a 23 pound Turkey.  It was a feast!  Brandon was in charge of the turkey.  He smoked it over night on the pit and it was DIVINE!  I will say that I am absolutely fine with the fact that I will never have to cook a big, stinky bird.  Brandon has earned that privilege from here on out.
Before...very stinky

after...meat falling off the bone!

Aunt Kathryn and Peyton

The kid table

Chase and Peyton

Zoe and Zachary playing
The day after Thanksgiving we rode the metro into DC to go to the Air and Space Museum.  It was our first time and the kids (especially Jacob) loved it.  Before we left, Zoe was having a hard time being the only girl out of all the kids.  Aunt Jena sat down and played with her while all of us were getting ready to go.  Needless to say, Zoe's loyalty switched from me to Aunt Jena.  
Aunt Jena and Zoe all dolled up.

We got a single stroller specifically for this trip and our trek across country next week.  It was like going from driving a suburban to a sports car!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, they are BEST FRIENDS!

Yes, our kids are eating icecream in the freezing cold weather.  It's tradition.

Peyton was free to run around while the big kids ate their icecream.

Brandon was so good about teaching the kids while we were there.  I was in survival mode.  This pregnant lady was tired.
Waiting for the metro.



On Saturday we went to the Temple and it was C-C-C-Cold!  Boyd had been wearing shorts the whole trip but on this day, he wore pants.  I'm telling you, it was reeeeally cold.  Jacob actually came to me and said, "Mommy I need another jacket with a hat."

Jacob helped push Peyton back up the hill and Peyton loved it.
I am so thankful that we lived here this past year and a half.  Thanksgiving weekend was a reminder of what it was like for us as kids at Grandmother and Grandaddy's house.  Kathryn and I even sat down and played Speed and Spit like we used to.  We called each other cheaters and everything, it was great!  When explaining the game, Brandon asked, "What happens if you hit the deck at the same time?"  Kathryn looked at him with a strait face and said, "You fight to the death."  Living close to family has been such a blessing and I am sad we have to say goodbye.  I am hoping that we will end up here again and Jena and Kathryn will stay put!  We have so much fun with all of them and wish they would just hop on a plane and live in Hawaii with us!

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I LOVED our trip. And I loved reliving the Spit games we used to play :). I had such a great time with all of you. I love Brandon and your kids and I'm so glad I was finally able to meet them and get to know all of them. You have an awesome family and you have that sparkle of happiness in your eyes. I love seeing it. I love you!!