Thursday, April 21, 2011

Macil's Birthday

Macil was born on the perfect day at the perfect time.  The day before she was born, I had a doctor’s appointment.  I was excited about this appointment because I knew the midwife would strip my membranes and hopefully get labor started naturally.   If not, I would have been induced 5 days later.  I guess I was a little bit too excited because my blood pressure was a little high.  I was kept at the hospital all afternoon and really didn’t think I was going to go into labor because I wasn’t able to be out walking to get things going.  Four hours later I was finally able to go home and I wasn’t having any contractions.  I took Zoe and Jacob to gymnastics and was surprised when the contractions started.  One of the other Moms noticed and I blew it if saying they would probably stop when I got home.  Later that night, they didn’t stop. 

After the kids were in bed, Brandon and I stayed up late playing Canasta.  At one point I looked at Brandon and said, “I’m scared.”  I don’t really know what I was scared of.  I know how this baby birthing works, I’ve done it 3 times before.  But, I think I was afraid of the fact that I knew how much my body was about to hurt.  Brandon gave me a blessing to help comfort me and calm me a down a little bit.  After that, I was in complete denial of being in labor.  I kept telling Brandon that if I could just take a shower and lay down, I was sure the contractions would stop.  I finally got in bed at 1:30 in the morning.  Brandon stayed up after I went to bed and I wasn’t really sure why that was.  I just focused on relaxing and stopping these contractions.  I don’t know why I wanted the contractions to stop.  This is why I was so excited about my doctor’s appointment right?

 I fell asleep with the watch in my hand timing my contractions.  I woke up at 4:30 because the contractions were pretty rough.  But, of course I was still in denial.  I lay in bed not wanting to wake Brandon or the kids up.  I also didn’t want to have to call the Addington’s (our friends that were going to take care of the kids) that early in the morning.  I finally woke Brandon up at 5:15.  He jumped out of bed and told me had already packed our bags and we could be out of the house in a few minutes.  I love my husband so much.  When I went to bed, Brandon stayed up and packed a bag for myself and the kids.  While I tried to tell him the labor would stop, he hugged me, got me comfortable in bed and stayed up getting our bags ready anyway.
We dropped the kids off and got to the hospital at 7:00 AM.  I was still able to walk so I thought we had plenty of time before she would be born.  By the time we got up to Labor and Delivery I changed my mind.  She was going to be here any minute.  I looked at the nurse and said, “She is gonna be here soon.”  She looked at me like,  “uh-huh sure, calm down pregnant lady.”  When they checked me, I was 7 cm and feeling like I wanted to push.  At this point I had to get in a wheel chair and go from triage to my L&D room.  I was so mad that they didn’t just take me to my room first.  I TOLD them she was going to be here soon!  I started pushing as soon as I got in the bed. 

This was the first Delivery that I actually felt in control of.  The contractions came in sets of three, 2 hard 1 a bit easier.  I could breathe and really focus on what was going on.  I was able to hear the Midwife and nurses coaching me and actually do what they were saying.   I could hear Brandon cheering me on and giving me confidence.  Macil was born at 7:55, less than an hour after we got to the hospital.  The midwife told me I was a pro and should teach pregnant women how to go through natural labor and delivery.  I laughed and said, “Sure, all you need to do is have three kids first.  On the fourth one you’ll have it figured out.”
Macil was born on the first day of Brandon’s leave.  Brandon took leave so we could get the house ready for Macil and family visitors, but having her early let us have some time together as a family to just enjoy it.  This was the most “enjoyable” labor and delivery out of all of my children.  It might be because I know it is my last.  I am so happy that Maci is here and our family is complete.

Look at that hair!  She has the most hair out of all the kids.

Going home.  She looks so squished still.

No comments: